Saturday, 8 May 2010

Joseph Addison's Essays: Sir Roger at Home

First, if you want to read the story, you can here: page 1, page 2, page 3, page 4. It's a short, short story probably around 500-1000 words long.

Modern Day Soho Square (click to enlarge)
Who is Sir Roger?

Joseph introduces us to Sir Roger de Coverley in this essay, a beginning of many regarding this baronet. Not much is written about this character but what is known is that his grandfather invented a dance called, "Sir Roger de Coverley" otherwise known as the Virginia Reel. You can watch the dance on YouTube. They've danced this way many times in Jane Austen films.


Modern Day Soho Square (click to enlarge)
When in London, Sir Roger lived in Soho Square. He kept himself a bachelor because he was crossed in love by a widow in the next county over.

Notes from the Essay:

Addison comments on Roger's treatment of his servants. Commenting that all his servants have been with him for years, growing old with them. When Sir Roger comes home from London or elsewhere, the servants will go as far as crying over his return and disappointment over not being able to help him around the house.

Next, Addison talks about a companion of Sir Roger, a clergyman who is considered more of a "relation than a dependent" and who has lived with Sir Roger for over thirty years. The clergyman is a dispute settler and because of his wisdom, has kept peace among Sir Roger and his tenant. Sir Roger gave his clergyman and friend all the sermons he could find in English and so instead of the clergyman having to make his own, he could work on perfecting the delivery of them.

Addison remarks that he wished all clergymen would employ their time likewise. "This would not only be more easy to themselves, but more edifying to the people."

Picture Source: here



I've received the Awesomesause Award from Nicole at One Significant Moment at a Time. Go visit her blog. Her layout is amazing. She's a writer, a reader, and an amazing blogger.

I will be giving this award out tomorrow.

17 comments:

  1. I love Soho Square, now that it's cleaned up a bit. It's in my novel, too, albeit as a location for a media production company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! I found your blog over at Nicole's but I see that you and I have several buddies in common!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talli, it looks great there. I'd love to read your novel too. Is it out yet?

    Jen, thank you. Yes, the writing community on blogger is great!

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the first time I've been here. I love the book review. Has anyone ever told you that you are funny?

    I will be back!

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. JW, glad to have you. I'm formerly known as ann. CD is another of my pen names.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have Firefox as my main web browser already, but I want my
    windows messenger to open all windows on Firefox and not IE7.
    Like the e-mail icon at the top left hand corner of
    wlm. Every time I select it, it opens up on IE7 that i don't want, but on Firefox.. how do i remove ie7?.

    Also visit my site: http://dental-quote.com
    My web blog ... dental insurance plans

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to find blogging websites that deal with legalities
    such as contracts, wrongful death claims, fraud,
    etc . I don't even know where to start looking. Any advice could be appreciated... Thanks..

    my homepage - Pba-dental.com
    Here is my web-site : Yeast Infection

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does everyone like blogspot or will there be a healthier way to go?


    my web page ... discountdentaleq9.blogtrue.com
    Also visit my weblog :: cheap dental plans

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does your site have a contact page? I'm having problems locating it but, I'd
    like to send you an email. I've got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it improve over time.

    Feel free to visit my web site; mat.92700.free.fr
    my web site > discount dental plans

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is amazing, nice written and
    include approximately all vital infos. I'd like to look extra posts like this .

    Here is my webpage ... mayunwana.com
    My web site > PBA Dental

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fine way of telling, and pleasant paragraph to take information about my
    presentation subject, which i am going to convey in academy.


    Here is my web blog; http://boombit.ourproject.org
    Also visit my web blog best dental plans

    ReplyDelete
  12. just how can u eliminate unwanted files on ur computer.
    ... like old movies u deleted that are still on the pc or books that were digital?
    !.

    Feel free to surf to my web blog :: http://hiperlevelinternational.com/ScottVela
    Feel free to visit my web-site : Paxil Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love your blog.. Excellent colors & theme.
    Did you create this site yourself? Please reply back as I'm hoping to create my very own blog and want to know where you got this from or what the theme is called. Cheers!

    my web-site http://ie.gluecklichsein.eu/index.php/Index.php
    Feel free to surf my site - discount dental plans

    ReplyDelete
  14. How do i Copyright Protect Stories and Articles on My Website?


    Stop by my web site :: vaginal mesh compensation
    my web page > transvaginal mesh lawsuit

    ReplyDelete
  15. The phrase of the old anatomists, sound in the noble parts, free from all taint of perfidy over here of cowardice, of cruelty, of ingratitude, of envy. Men may easily be named, in whom some particular good disposition has been more conspicuous than in Addison.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I believe that every human life has not only a value as a treasured family member, but a financial value as well. Losing that loved one will impact remaining family members who depended on the deceased for comfort and support. wrongful death attorney arizona

    ReplyDelete
  17. Students might consider you a skilled observer. Not so many overviews on various topics seem to become really good material for writing papersmart.net term papers that are indeed innovative.

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have anything nice to say, say it anyway.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive